Ever been too big a fan of your favorite pizza chain and ordered more than your stomach could handle? As the best pizza catering company in Maryland, Manny and Olga’s Pizza can get you into that habit. Rest assured, that doesn’t mean you’ll have to be tossing half the box in the bin. Instead, you can use your leftover pizza to create these delectable dishes!
Recipe 1 – Leftover Pizza Potato Cakes
If you’re keen on totally transforming your leftover pizza, disassembling it and adding a few new ingredients can do the trick.
- 4 slices of leftover pizza
- 1 potato
- Half an onion
- Canola oil
- Kosher salt
- Garlic powder
- Tomato paste
- 1 cup of flour
- Parmesan cheese
- Remove the crusts from the pizza and scrape the toppings off. Cut them into small squares and set them aside. Cube one potato and cook in salted water. Strain them and mash with oil and milk.
- Dice an onion and cook in oil until translucent. Add pizza toppings, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and tomato paste. Mix until the pizza toppings melt.
- Cube the bottom of two pieces of pizza and mix them into the potatoes. Roughly chop the crusts and break them down into crumb consistency with a food processor or blender.
- Use three bowls to set up a dredging station. In the first, mix a cup of flour and freshly ground black pepper. In the second, whisk one egg. In the third, mix the crust crumbs and a teaspoon of ground parmesan.
- Roll 2 to 3 tablespoons of the potato mixture into a ball and flatten. While heating a few tablespoons of oil in the same pan used to cook the onions, coat each potato cake in the flour, egg, and crumb bowls.
- Cook the cakes in hot oil until browned. Once done, place them on a paper towel to remove excess oil. Sprinkle each cake with some kosher salt and serve!
Recipe 2 – Leftover Pizza Croutons and Tomato Soup
Give grilled cheese and tomato soup a restaurant-level upgrade by turning leftover pizza slices into cheesy croutons to toss into a homemade tomato soup.
Ingredients for croutons:
- 2 slices of leftover cheese pizza
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
Ingredients for soup:
- 8 seeded and halved Roma tomatoes
- 2 quartered and seeded red peppers
- 1 quartered onion
- 8 cloves of garlic
- 2 teaspoons of chopped thyme leaves
- 4 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- A 6-ounce can of tomato paste
- 6 cups of vegetable stock
- ¼ cup of chiffonade basil leaves
Steps to make croutons:
- Stack the 2 pizza slices and make 1-inch wide strips following the straight edge of the slices. Cut the strips into 1-inch squares. Sandwich each square so that the cheesy sides are touching.
- Add oil on medium heat to a nonstick or cast iron pan. Add the assembled squares and cook for 2 minutes until the cheese melts and crusts crisp.
Steps to make soup:
- Preheat your oven to 400F. On a sheet pan, toss together the tomatoes, peppers, onion, garlic cloves, thyme, half the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt, and pepper. Keep the tomatoes and red peppers skin side up and bake lightly for 45 to 50 minutes.
- Warm 2 tablespoons of olive oil on medium-high heat in a soup pot. Stir in the tomato paste. Add the tomato and pepper mixture, then stir in the stock. Cover the pot and bring it to a boil. Reduce the heat to low then simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and cool for 5 minutes. Pulse the soup in batches inside a blender. Start slow then increase the speed until the mixture is smooth. Return the blended soup into the pot.
- Warm the soup and garnish with basil. Add the croutons and serve!
At Manny and Olga’s, we aren’t just the best pizza chain in DC. We pride ourselves on authentic Italian and Greek food—who knows? Maybe you can come up with a leftover recipe for those too!